About The Triathlon
It’s time to bring the excitement of triathlon back to Clear Lake. TRI Clear Lake will host its first annual sprint triathlon sanctioned by USA Triathlon on June 8, 2019. The scenic course will commence at State Park Beach with a 750M swim before a 12.4 mile bike course guides athletes out and back along South Shore Drive through the prairie and windmills south of Clear Lake. The race is capped off with a 3.1 mile run on South Shore drive heading north to the lakeside finish in City Park downtown Clear Lake.
Schedule of Events
Friday, June 7th
- 4:00-8:00 pm — Packet Pickup at the Clear Lake State Park
- 6:00-7:00 pm — Course open for OWS practice
- 6:30 pm — Tri 101 Meeting
Saturday, June 8th
- 6:00 am – Transition opens
- 6:00-7:45 am – Packet Pickup and Timing Chip Pickup at Clear Lake State Park
- 7:45 am – Transition Area Closes
- 7:50 am – Pre-race meeting at swim start
- 8:00 am – Race Begins
Clear Lake is conveniently located right off of I-35. Only 2 hours South of Minneapolis and 2 hours North of Des Moines. Swim start and the transition area will be held at State Beach which is located about 2 miles South of downtown just off of South Shore. The race will finish lakefront downtown. Athletes and spectators are welcome to park at State Park or downtown. The trolley will shuttle people to and from State Park. Trolley times will be posted shortly.
Racers will be divided into categories by gender and age. Age groups for each gender are:
- 19 and under
- 70 and older
Clydesdale and Athena Divisions:
The top three overall male and female finishers and the top 3 finishers in each of the other categories for Sprint distances (Age Group, Clydesdale, Athena, Relay Teams) will receive an award. Award ceremonies will follow completion of each race.
The TRI Clear Lake will be sanctioned by USA Triathlon (USAT). Race participants are required to be annual members of, or have a one-day permit from, USAT. The $15 USAT one-day permit fee will be added to nonmembers’ entry fees prior to check-out. USAT members must present their USAT membership card and photo ID at packet pickup.
Packet pickup will take place on Friday, June 7th from 4:00-8:00 pm and on Saturday, June 9th from 6:00-7:45 am. Athletes must pick up their own packets, at which time they will be required to show a photo ID and their USAT membership card (if applicable). This applies to individual relay team members, as well.
Chips will be distributed at check-in on the morning of the event. Race participants are responsible for returning their chips to volunteers at the finish line. A $30 charge will be assessed to the athlete if the chip is not returned.`
If the swim portion of the race is cancelled due to inclement weather (i.e. heavy rain, lightning) or unsafe water conditions, the event will be duathlon, with run-bike-run. Please check the TRI Clear Lake website and Facebook page on race day for updates if you suspect delays or cancellation.
Registration is neither refundable nor transferable.
We need motivated volunteers to put on a memorable race! Please sign up below if you are interested in voluneering!
Friday, June 7th:
- Setup – Volunteers help set up the swim, bike, and run courses, as well as the finish line, transition, and registration areas.
- Registration – Volunteers assist our event staff at registration by checking in athletes and distributing packets.
Saturday, June 8th:
- Parking – Volunteers direct traffic to the designated parking areas.
- Swim Course – Lifeguards direct and assist athletes in the water.
- Bike Course – Volunteers direct athletes and watch for traffic.
- Run Course – Volunteers direct athletes and watch for traffic.
- Transition Area – Volunteers restrict entrance to athletes only.
- Aid Stations – Volunteers hand out water to athletes.
- Tear Down – Volunteers help tear down the courses when the race is complete.
- Photographers – Volunteers capture the memories of our event.